Sunday, November 3, 2013

Abby Tribble, 2013-2014 Newsletter Coordinator

Current Position/Institution in Missouri?
Assistant Director, Residence Life / State Fair Community College – Sedalia, MO

Please provide your educational information – institution(s) attended, degree(s)/area(s) of study, year(s) attended 
State Fair Community College, 2007-2010 (Associate of Arts Degree)
Central Methodist University, 2010-2012 (Bachelor of Science, Psychology)
Arkansas Tech University, 2013-Present (Master of Science, College Student Personnel)

What is your favorite part of your role at your institution?
My favorite part about serving as Assistant Director in Residence Life are the moments that give me the opportunity to encourage students when they need a push, and then be there to celebrate their success with them when they walk across the stage in May. I also enjoy living on campus because I have the chance to engage with students in a more informal setting than any other department on campus. Though unpredictable and chaotic at times, ‘res life’ rocks!

How did you get involved with MoCPA?
I first attended the Annual Conference in 2011 and after attending again in 2012, I knew I wanted to be a part of this organization that promotes networking with our neighbors and continued education and development. As a graduate student and new professional, I am always seeking out opportunities to get more involved and MoCPA is one that I feel passionate about.

What is your favorite MoCPA event/membership benefit?
The Annual Conference each fall is an event I look forward to each year as it is a great way to kick off a new year and network with colleagues. As the Newsletter Coordinator, I also feel that the MoCPA Newsletter is a great way to keep that initial connection and provide professional development in a range of fields in student affairs.

What is the one thing you’d most like to change about the world of education?
A practice that I believe in is being personable with the students I work with. This means asking questions about students’ hobbies, lifestyle, and why they chose your respected institution, but also serving as an example of how education can change a life. Working at a community college involves working with a diverse population of students, many of which come to us as first generation college students. As a first generation college student and alum of SFCC, it is important to me to be a role model for the students I work with. Our students come to us because they want to improve their life and they trust us to help them reach their educational goals. A former supervisor always reiterated to me: “Without the student there is no need for the institution”, and this is a credo we all need to adopt.

No comments:

Post a Comment